10 Tips To Avoid Work At Home Burnout
Working from home is a great way to stay home with your kids or pets or to enjoy more rest time or even enjoy hobbies, while still supplementing the family’s income. On the flipside, it can be challenging to be a parent and an employee at the same time. Your stress level will rise quickly when you have deadlines to keep or phone calls to make while your little ones are acting out. Implement a few of the ideas below to prevent Work at Home Burnout.
- Don’t work more than you have to. Money isn’t everything. You family needs happy and sane parents and you need to stay healthy for yourself and everyone else.
- Create a schedule or to-do list both for work and your personal life. Just realise that you won’t always get everything done and don’t worry if you don’t. There’s always tomorrow.
- Designate an errand day. Spend one day a week running around town getting everything done for the week. This is when you will grocery shop, drop things off at the drycleaner, go to the post office and anything else you need to do.
- Enjoy your kids or pets or hobbies. Take some time to play with your loved ones every day. Have a picnic lunch in the garden, take them on a little field trip or just play catch for a while. You’re a work at home parent because you want to spend time with your kids or pets or because you like time to have hobbies or rest more. Work and house chores can wait while you play.
- Go out on a date with partner or a friend. Make date night, a regular occurrence and connect with your lover. If you are currently single, choose to date yourself, run a bath with your favourite essential oils or take yourself for a nice meal, show yourself some love.
- Have lunch with a friend. We need some adult conversation every now and then. Make time to stay in touch with your friends.
- Call a friend. If you are having a bad day, call a good friend and just talk for a little while. You’ll be relaxed and rejuvenated when you get back.
- Get some exercise. Go for a walk, join a gym, or try a Pilates class. Exercise will not only keep you in shape, it’s also a great de-stressor.
- Play some upbeat music and dance around the living room. Who cares if your kids and the neighbours think you’ve lost it? You are having fun and are releasing all that build-up of physical energy.
- If you own a business, stick to one until it more or less runs itself. Don’t burn yourself out by trying to run several businesses at the same time.
Start implementing a few of these ideas today and watch your stress level go down. You will prevent work at home mom burnout and get to enjoy life more. Your family will appreciate spending time with you since you are fun and relaxed. That’s what it’s all about - spending quality time with your family, pets, friends and yourself.